Fall is an awesome season. Fresh air, football games and upping your fitness routine after a slow summer…I look forward to it all. What I don’t look forward to are colds, flus and allergies.
When the seasons change, new allergens are released into the air. So the beginning of any season, especially a cooler one, can be tough on the sinuses and respiratory system. Flu germs also pick up steam in late fall and winter.
As a Natural Foods Chef and cancer survivor, I’ve experienced the benefits of real, whole foods. If you’re wondering how to naturally boost your immune system to stay healthy, head to the grocery store for these powerful ingredients…
- Garlic is antibacterial, antifungal and anticarcinogenic. It can also help draw heavy metals out of the body. Add it to any dish from soups to stews to roasted meats. Need a recipe? Check out my Garlic Herb Roasted Rack of Lamb on Instagram.
- Onions are antiviral and antibiotic. They can even help lower cholesterol. Combine with garlic to create the perfect base for your meals or caramelize onion slices to top sandwiches and burgers.
- Ginger can help treat colds, fevers and nausea. It contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, and boosts immune function. Fresh ginger lends warm and pungent notes to curries, soups and stir-fries. You can also try juicing it and throwing it in your morning protein shake.
- Raw (local) honey can combat environmental allergies by helping you build your immunity to local pollen. Unlike refined sugar, raw honey contains vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Add it to vinaigrettes, desserts and any dish that calls for a kick of sweetness. If you do get sick, make some homemade honey cough syrup.
- Turmeric enhances the immune system, aids in digestion and decreases inflammation. It is antibacterial and often used in a variety of medicinal applications. Use fresh or ground turmeric as you would any aromatic (although it adds more color than flavor). If you missed my Gluten-Free Breakfast blog, click here for a creamy, dairy-free Turmeric Latte recipe.
Don’t wait until you get sick to strengthen your immune system. Start adding more powerful ingredients into your meals and Eat with a Purpose!