Farmers’ markets may be closing for the season, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t still enjoy the in-season flavors of Winter! Home-cooked traditional Winter dishes are staples during this time of year, and you should be able to enjoy them without sacrificing your healthy eating journey. Get ready for the season with a few go-to recipes that you can always have in-stock without feeling guilty about spending or consuming too much. You don’t have to wait for the ball to drop in order to make a new resolution- prove to yourself that you’re ready for this lifestyle by committing to the transformation with inspiration from a few of these healthy favorites!
- Moroccan chickpea tagine is fast and simple recipe to begin with. It calls for cumin, coriander, chili powder, cinnamon, chickpeas, vegetable stock, and zucchini, potatoes, parsley, quinoa, or other seasonal vegetables that you’re able to access. These natural ingredients come together to create a seasonal spice that will warm you through the chilly Winter nights while also honoring your personal health goals and adding a new seasonal favorite to your rotation!
- Homemade vegetarian chili is a great take on a Winter essential. In addition to basic chili ingredients (including onions, peppers, carrots, celery, or other favorite vegetables and broth), this recipe combines flavorful seasoning for the perfect classic adaptation! Experience the potent tastes of cumin, paprika, oregano, tomatoes, and protein-heavy beans that create an unbeatable healthy twist on full-of-flavor warm chili.
- Quinoa vegetable soup is another healthy alternative on a classic winter taste. This recipe calls for onions, carrots, celery, and any other seasonal favorites for the perfect, unique taste. I recommend classic Winter vegetables such as zucchini, yellow squash, bell pepper, sweet potatoes and butternut squash for a fresh seasonal flavor. This take on vegetable soup is gluten free and vegan as long as you don’t top it with optional Parmesan cheese.
- Honey and sesame-glazed chicken breasts with green beans is a perfect full dinner recipe packed with seasonal healthy go-to ingredients. It has a variety of delicious flavors and it’s so simple to make that you’ll want to add it to your weekly rotation! It relies on honey as a natural sweetener as well as whole-grain mustard, sesame seeds, and fresh green beans to satisfy your palate with healthy, earthy ingredients.
- Spicy paleo veggie hash is a Peruvian-inspired sweet potato dish that contains sweet potato, oregano, cumin, cinnamon, red pepper, tomato, and unsalted pumpkin seed kernels. The hash can also be topped with a fried egg for an additional serving of protein. You can also control the amount of red pepper used to create a mild or spicy flavor depending on taste.
If you’d like to catch more tips and advice for healthy eating and cooking like a chef, be sure to follow me on Instagram at OfficialChefT, check out SimpleEatsTV on YouTube, and find my podcast, Simple Eats w/ Chef T, on iTunes, Google Play, Overcast, Pocket Cast, and Radio Public.
Always remember to Eat with a Purpose!